Bicycle Accident Lawyer - Buena Park, CA
Buena Park, home to Knotts Berry Farm and the Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, is a popular tourist destination in Orange County. The streets in Buena Park, CA are bustling with locals, tourists, and commuters frequenting an abundance of restaurants, shops, and entertainment centers. Buena Park also has some great road cycling routes to explore like the Loop from Calico Station. Biking reduces traffic and is great for personal enjoyment and health. Over the years the number of cyclists on the roads has increased, which also increases the risk of bicycle accidents.
Were you or a loved one hit by a driver in Buena Park, CA? Have you experienced the loss of a loved one due to another driver's negligence? If you were injured as a result of another driver's negligence you deserve compensation for your losses. At Park Accident Attorneys, our bicycle accident lawyers help injured victims recover compensation for their physical, financial, and emotional damages.Free Consultation
Common Causes Bicycle Accidents in Buena Park
Unfortunately, motorist and bike crashes are not uncommon in California. Motor vehicle accidents killed 737 cyclists from 2016 through 2020 according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. No matter how conscientious a cyclist is, a driver's error can leave a bike rider with a potentially catastrophic injury. As a result, the cyclist may need extensive medical treatment and have to miss time from work. In this case, it is best to seek out a law firm with bicycle accident lawyers who have your best interests in mind and can help you recover just compensation.
In order to hold the at-fault party accountable, it is important to be able to prove the driver was negligent in causing the bicycle collision. When you file a bicycle accident claim, you must demonstrate that the driver is responsible and owes you damages. Some common causes of bicycle accidents include the following:
Distracted driving is a leading cause of vehicle collisions, including bicycle accidents. Drivers who are on their phones instead of paying attention to their surroundings are significantly more likely to cause a crash. Forms of distracted driving can include various cell phone usage, like reading and responding to text messages, looking up directions or contact information, using social media or apps, and talking on the phone.
When a driver operates their vehicle at accelerated speeds there is more time required in order to slow down or react to other drivers. This limits the time the driver has to make decisions on the road. Oftentimes, high-speed accidents cause severe and life-threatening injuries. However, even when a bicycle accident occurs at relatively low speeds, a collision can be very dangerous for the cyclist. According to the United States Department of Transportation, speeding was a contributing factor in 26% of all motor vehicle accidents in 2019.
Failure to Yield
Failure to yield is also a top reason for auto accidents each year. It is a form of reckless driving that poses severe risks for bike riders and pedestrians. Failure to yield happens when a driver fails to give a pedestrian, cyclist, or vehicle their “right of way” or rightful space and time to proceed. Roundabouts and intersections are some locations where car drivers have an obligation to yield to oncoming traffic, including bike traffic.
Unsafe Lane Changes
It is very dangerous when a driver makes a sudden lane change without checking to make sure the lane is clear. For example, a bicycle accident can occur when a driver merges into a cyclist’s lane without checking to ensure it is safe to merge. Weaving through traffic is also very dangerous. Drivers who weave through lanes often drift onto bike lanes and shoulders.
Turning Without Looking
When a driver fails to check their blind spot before turning, they can potentially hit a pedestrian or bike rider. Even if a driver receives a green signal, they are required to look for bikes and pedestrians before proceeding.
When drivers are intoxicated behind the wheel, they put themselves and others around them at great risk. Alcohol and drug impairment significantly reduces a driver’s cognition and ability to make decisions and avoid causing accidents on the road. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 10,142 people died in alcohol-impaired crashes in 2019. Alcohol-impaired crash fatalities accounted for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
Drivers who operate a motor vehicle while fatigued significantly increase the risk of a serious collision. Drowsy driving accounted for at least 795 deaths in 2017. In the past year, 20% of people have fallen asleep at the wheel.
Dangerous Intersections in Buena Park, CA
Some of the most dangerous intersections in Buena Park include:
Common Types of Bicycle Accident Injuries
Unfortunately, bikes are typically lightweight and don’t have many protective features comparable to cars. This makes bike riders very vulnerable on the road and more likely to suffer from an injury when a collision with a motor vehicle occurs. Cyclists could suffer anything from bruises and broken bones to life-altering injuries. Head injuries are responsible for most fatalities and long-term disabilities.
Common types of injuries sustained from a bicycle accident include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Brain injury or trauma
- Nerve damage
- Eye or vision damage
- Lost or broken teeth
- Fractured jaw
- Broken nose
- Back injuries
If you were injured in a bike accident contact our Buena Park bicycle accident lawyers for a free consultation.Free Consultation
How to React After a Cycling Accident
Here are some proactive steps you can take after a cycling accident:
- Get to safety.
- If you are able to get out of the road after a collision, it is best to do so. Ensure you are out of harm’s way and can rest in a safe place. If you are feeling light-headed or nauseous it is best to sit or lie down. If you are seriously injured, call an ambulance.
- Call 911.
- Whether the accident results in minor or serious injuries, it's crucial to get the police involved. Responding officers will fill out a police report and document the bicycle accident. If you are able to, you can also go to the nearest police station and fill out a police report. If you file a claim with your insurance company, they may also ask for a copy of the police report.
- Get the other party’s information.
- If a driver was involved, get the license and registration of the other party. Note the car’s color, make and model. Get the driver’s name, address, and insurance details as well.
- Take pictures.
- Make sure you take photos of the incident. Take several pictures with your phone of the accident site and damage due to the collision. The metadata recorded in the digital photos you take includes important information like the location details and the time the photo was taken.
- Speak to witnesses.
- Ensure you obtain the names and phone numbers of people who saw the accident take place and are willing to give an account of what they saw. Having witnesses is crucial for personal injury cases.
- Seek medical attention.
- Even if you are fortunate enough to be able to walk away from a bike accident with minor injuries, you should still seek medical attention. Bike crash victims can develop symptoms immediately after an accident or within hours, days, or even a week later. Neglecting symptoms and not seeking medical attention could significantly affect your bicycle claim.
- Get a bicycle accident lawyer.
- If you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident, it’s crucial to have the incident investigated as soon as possible. Biking injuries often require extensive treatment and rehabilitation which can quickly drive up medical costs. A bicycle accident lawyer can hold the at-fault party responsible for the bicycle victim’s medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and any other life-altering damages caused by the crash. Securing a personal injury attorney is key to pursuing a fair settlement in a bicycle injury case.
How Much is My Bicycle Accident Injury Case Worth?
The value of your bicycle or auto accident claim will vary on a case-to-case basis and depends on your damages. This can include financial losses such as property damage, personal injury, pain and suffering. Have you lost income as a result of a bicycle accident? Our personal injury law firm in Buena Park, CA helps bicycle accident injury victims recover the compensation they deserve.
Want to know what your bicycle accident case is worth? Get a free case evaluation today.
Why Do You Need A Personal Injury Attorney in Buena Park, CA?
Have you lost wages as a result of a bicycle accident? California law allows personal injury victims to sue for lost wages as well as lost earning potential. A personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for your damages. Our personal injury law firm in Buena Park, CA is comprised of a dedicated group of bicycle accident lawyers that will provide you with the expertise you need to protect your legal rights.
If you have medical expenses, we got you covered. Our Buena Park law firm has connections with some of the best medical institutions across Orange County. Following a bike accident, you need to focus on healing, not having to argue with an insurance company. Insurance adjusters are fully prepared to find reasons to justify a low settlement or even deny the personal injury claim entirely. We have your best interest in mind when you file a bike or car accident claim. Our bicycle accident lawyers hold the at-fault driver accountable so you can receive the damages owed to you.
Contact Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Buena Park
If a loved one was killed in a bicycle accident you should contact a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company needs to cover the full extent of your injuries and losses.
At Park Accident Attorneys, our Buena Park bicycle accident lawyers are committed to recovering the highest compensation our clients deserve. Our law firm specializes in bicycle accidents, car accidents, pedestrian accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, rideshare accidents, and wrongful death accidents in Southern California. Did you sustain a personal injury as a result of a car accident? Our bicycle accident lawyers in Buena Park, CA are here to offer you support and guidance. Call (714) 735-0118 to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced attorney in Orange County.